How-Tos: Furnishing an Apartment on a Budget

A little over a year ago, I moved into my first apartment. I had lived on my own for several years before this, but always with roommates and the apartments I lived in were always very "student-like." I was tired of those living arrangements, love interior decorating and wanted a place I was proud of, so I decided to move into my current place. I started from scratch apart from a few pieces my parents gave me as they were also moving at the same time and downsizing. I still consider my home a work in progress, but today I am sharing a few tips for furnishing an apartment on a budget and sharing some pictures of my apartment.

1. Do your research: I headed out to buy furniture and decor for my apartment with a colour palette in mind. The problem was that none of the stores I shopped at had anything in those colours. Definitely do your research beforehand so you don't have to make some quick decisions while you are out shopping. Lots of websites let you check the inventory at your local store. You can also compare prices as well.

2. Shop the big box stores: Ikea, Target and other big box stores are the places where you will get the most value for your money. The furniture you buy for your first apartment is not the kind of furniture you expect to last forever. Save the specialty furniture stores (unless they have a great sale on) for when you buy your first house.

3. Look for some unique pieces (or make them yourself): If you don't want your home to look exactly like a picture in an Ikea catalogue (not that that's a bad thing), add some fun, unique pieces. A great place to find them for cheap is at a second hand store or flea market, or even from older relatives. If you're crafty, definitely try some DIYs.

4. Prioritize: Maybe you have a single bed from when you were a student. You want a bigger bed but you also need a couch. If you already have some furniture and it's in good condition, definitely spend your money on pieces you don't already have before you consider upgrading your current furniture.

5. Make a list: I cannot stress enough how important this point is. Before you go shopping, make a list of everything you think you will need. It will keep you on track and on budget. 

6. Be patient: It may not be realistic for you to furnish your apartment in one weekend, and that's okay. Stick to your budget and buy pieces based on priority. I'm still adding pieces to my apartment.


affordable living room furniture
This Hemnes Sofa Table from Ikea is one of my favourite pieces. It is a great value - I love the whole Hemnes series - and incredibly versatile.

furnishing on a budget
The table and chairs were given to me by my parents. I love decorating with fresh flowers as they add such a nice touch to your home.

furnishing an apartment bedroom
This dresser was the other piece given to me by my parents. I love the look it brings to my bedroom.

adding a pop of colour
I absolutely love white walls and furniture. I think they add such a calm, serene vibe to your home. With all that white, you need some colour though. Two of my favourite ways to add a pop of colour to a room are with fun cushions and prints. Ikea has some great prints that are very affordable. It is also an easy way to switch things up when you want a change. 

ikea prints
More pops of colour in my hallway.

living room clock
This vintage Caravelle wall clock that belonged to my grandparents is another one of my favourite pieces. It adds some uniqueness to my living room (everything else is from Ikea!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently Coveting: Bar Carts

April Favourites!

Natural Beauty: What's in Your Skin Care?