Tea & Topaz Shape Up Challenge

This is the first post in my Shape Up Challenge series

Lately, one of my best friends and I have been eating out too much, skipping our workouts and just generally feeling sluggish. With the summer coming up, we decided to do a Shape Up Challenge during the month of June in order to get back on track. I thought it would be fun to open up our challenge to you too! It's so much easier to shape up when there are others to both motivate and challenge you. 


shape up challenge

During June, at least one post a week will be committed to the Shape Up Challenge. I will be posting tips, workouts and healthy recipes.

To start it off, here's what the Shape Up Challenge is all about:

  1. Aim to take at least 10,000 steps a day
  2. Mix up your workouts with a combination of cardio and strength training/toning 
  3. Aim to workout four to five times a week
  4. Eat real food and limit processed food as much as possible. Focus on eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats (Read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan if you haven't. It will change the way you think about food and eating)
  5. Eat breakfast. I know not all of us are hungry in the morning, but eating breakfast, even something small like a smoothie made from milk, yogurt and berries revs up your metabolism for the day
  6. Limit your sugar intake and remove all artificial sugars (aspartame, Splenda, etc.) from your diet
  7. Aim to prepare your own food at least five days a week. This will require preparation in advance, but it is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself, and it will save you money
  8. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day
  9. Treats are allowed in moderation. I believe that you will binge once the challenge is over if you don't allow yourself any treats during the entire month of June. However, be mindful about what you are eating
  10. Stretch for at least 10 minutes every day

You don't have to have a gym or yoga studio membership to join. I know I will be walking and running on the nature trail behind my apartment. YouTube is also a great free fitness source, with tons of workout videos. I'm looking forward to starting the Shape Up Challenge and I hope you are too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently Coveting: Bar Carts

April Favourites!

February Favourites!