Save or Splurge: Makeup Edition

One of my favourite things to do in my spare time is watch makeup reviews on YouTube. I love hearing about which products the Beauty Gurus are loving, and which products they buy at the drugstore or Sephora. Today I thought it would be fun to do the same!
Save or Splurge Makeup

Foundation: I find that high-end foundations have better coverage and lasting power, however there are some great drugstore foundations on the market. If I'm wearing a high-end foundation, I tend to wear drugstore concealer and vice versa. For this category I say both. 

My picks: Revlon Colourstay Whipped Creme Makeup and Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation

Concealer: The same rule I have for foundation applies to concealer. I most often wear a high-end concealer with a drugstore foundation and vice versa. For this category, I say both.

My picks: Covergirl Fresh Complexion Concealer and Tarte Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer

Powder: I've tried a lot of high-end as well as drugstore powders, and I don't think the high-end versions performed any better than their drugstore counterparts. For this category, I say save.

My pick: Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

Blush: I prefer high-end blush over drugstore for its pigmentation and lasting power. For this category, I say splurge.

My pick: Nars Blush in Orgasm

Bronzer: As with powder, I don't necessarily find high-end bronzer to be worth it compared to the drugstore version. For this category, I say save.

My pick: Rimmel Natural Bronzer

Eyeshadow: In my opinion, drugstore eyeshadow can't compete with high-end. The high-end version has far better pigmentation, great lasting power and less fallout. For this category, I say splurge.

My pick: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette

Eyeliner: Every time I use high-end eyeliner, I'm never that impressed with it. For this category, I say save.

My pick: Maybelline Eye Studio Master Drama Eyeliner in Midnight Master

Brows: I have the same opinion on brow pencils as I do on eyeliner. I haven't been that impressed with the high-end pencils I've tried relative to their cost. For this category, I say save.

My pick: Maybelline Eye Studio Master Shape Brow Pencil

Mascara: We all know that we should toss our mascara every three months. For that reason alone, I say save.

My pick: Covergirl Lash Blast Fusion Mascara in Very Black

Lipstick: I used to be all about drugstore lipstick, but lately I've been doing some research about toxic ingredients in makeup. Apparently drugstore lipstick is the worst offender as it is full of yucky ingredients. I now stick to high-end lipstick. For this category, I say splurge.

My pick: Bite Beauty Luminous Creme Lipstick in Quinta

Lipgloss: I love the smooth consistency and pigmentation of high-end lip gloss. I find that it never feels "sticky" either. As with the lipstick category, I am trying to avoid drugstore lip products. For this category, I say splurge.

My pick: Stila Stay All Day Vinyl in Scarlet Brick

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently Coveting: Bar Carts

April Favourites!

February Favourites!