Natural Beauty: Coconut Oil

This is the first post in a new series which explores natural beauty products.

I recently went for a facial at a new-to-me spa and was told something that has resonated with me ever since: why would you put something on your body that you wouldn't eat? During my facial, I was told about all the yucky ingredients in conventional skin care products, and about the importance of feeding our skin with everything it needs. She explained that we should not use products that contain alcohol, which dries out the skin causing it to produce oil, and should look for products that contain oil, especially those of us with oily skin.

Immediately following my facial I scoured my local drugstores looking for natural skin care products with oil and no alcohol. I had no luck and came home empty handed.

At this time, I was never completely happy with the skin care products that I was using. After checking the ingredients of my current products, combined with my unsuccessful shopping trip for new products, I decided to discontinue my current regime and go an even more natural route. I had heard a lot about using coconut oil as a beauty product, so I bought a bottle to test out as a new facial moisturizer.

I have to admit that I was very nervous applying pure, unrefined coconut oil to my face that night. What would my skin look like in the morning? However when I woke up the next morning, I was very happy with the results. My skin was soft and glowing. I also applied coconut oil that morning. When I looked at my skin in the mirror several hours later, I noticed that my skin was far less oily than it was when I was using other skin care products. 

Currently I am using coconut oil as my moisturizer. I apply about an 1/8 of a teaspoon to my face and neck in the morning and at night. I have been using it for roughly two months now and I am extremely impressed with the results. I have noticed that my skin is a lot less oilier throughout the day. It also keeps my skin soft, and maybe it's only my imagination, but I have noticed fewer fine lines on my forehead. Coconut oil can also help clear blemishes as it contains antimicrobial properties and vitamins A, E and K, and reduces inflammation. Coconut oil can also be used on dry hair and split ends, as well as for cooking and baking. Plus coconut oil is relatively cheap compared to "real" moisturizers, and it lasts for months and months. The only downfall to using oil as a moisturizer is that it takes approximately 20 to 30 minutes to completely absorb into the skin. The first ingredient in conventional moisturizers is water, which allows them to absorb so quickly. I am so impressed with the benefits of using coconut oil as a moisturizer that I don't mind waking up a bit earlier to ensure that I have enough time in the morning to use it and still apply my makeup. 

My favourite brand: Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. Nutiva is available at major Canadian grocery retailers and health stores. It is certified organic and non-GMO, and is packaged in BPA free containers. 1% of sales are donated towards sustainable agriculture. Plus it smells heavenly! $21.99 for 860 ml.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Currently Coveting: Bar Carts

April Favourites!

February Favourites!